Friday, February 20, 2009

Drew and Sebring

Ha, second post in 2 or 3 weeks, craziness. So Sebring was last week as you may have seen from Leslie's post. I went and rode mostly because we were there for Leslie and it's always easier for me to do the event than to watch it. Started off pretty good, some crazy paceline for the 1st 3 laps on the track. Eventually got close to the front and it was a tandem setting the pace with 3 recumbants following closely. I sat there for a lap and a half or so and then tried to prepare for the exit off the track and no more drafting. I'd say once on the open road the lead pack was 60 or so and then I was off the back easily 300 yards. After 30 miles the lead group was out of sight and there were 2 guys just up the road that had passed me and were solo, so I figured I was maybe in the top 5 or so maybe, didn't really matter. Hit the turnaround and filled my bottles back up and asked how many solo RAAM folks had been through, 19, no f'n way, they're all drafting. I was a little put out by that while I was riding back but put it out of my mind since I wasn't really planning to win coming in not to mention it is the middle of February. Got back to the track and was feeling a little fried, took on most of a coke and part of a sandwich and headed out for a few laps of the smaller loop. Coming on my second loop I saw leslie heading out and was wondering if she was just starting her 1st small loop or what. The issue really should have been maybe I rest, na. So back out and see leslie at the end but a little farther out of the turnaround than last time, hmmmmm. I stopped and pulled out the chair and sat in the shade for maybe 30-45 minutes, leslie came in stopped and grabbed some coke. I said I was only going to do a few more laps and probably pack it in, I just was fried and didn't see much point in tapping/taxing my body so early in the season for a race that I really wasn't racing. So I went out and rode with leslie for part of the next lap and I think I did one more then waited for her to come in. Leslie put on her lights and I said I would wait til she got back and on the track before I moved the vehicle and got more coke & ice. She left and yelled at me a couple minutes later as she went by on the track already. Anyway, long story short I got in a hair over 170 miles and although I wasn't too happy with it and how I felt it was probably wiser considering I have another long season planned again.

Back home I was a bit tired on Monday but needed to get in the 16 mile run I missed on Sunday since we were travelling back. Ouch, that run hurt and my calves are sore as a result, the first time this year. I don't think it was the extra 2 miles from last weeks 14 miles to this weeks 16 miles, probably more like the tired legs from the ride. After all my longest ride was 60-70 miles going into that 170. Now by the end of the week my legs are coming around I think and we'll see how they do tomorrow at the 10 mile race I have. At tomorrow's race I'm hopeing for 7 minute mile average or better and I will feel like I'm on track.

Oh, so I owe you photos of the new cross bike.

And while I'm at it I'll show the new wheels on the Pinarello that Leslie gave me for Christmas.

Well til next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i see that beating SPOT thing on the map and think it's Bill's heart.-stacy