Waterfalls

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Off to Ireland!

The time is finally here! We leave tomorrow for the Race Around Ireland. This race will be the culmination of my taking 2 years to focus just on cycling, if I finish I will "win" the women's division (I'm the only one) and also get enough points to solidify my position to win the Ultracycling Cup. As usual the clock is my nemesis, and my crew knows that I intend to finish this thing even if the clock runs dry... If bad things happen, I will still be racing in *Ireland* and it is a celebration of the journey that got us there...


The race is a 1350 mile cycling race which covers the circumference of Ireland, starting Sunday September 12th, 8pm. I am the only female, and the only American solo'ist in the race. I have a great crew with my hubby Drew, Susan as my crew chief, Julie my massage therapist, Jason (who I hope knows what he is in for!), and Jim who lives in Ireland and will be driving his car and taking care of the other 4 when they are "off duty". I will be riding non-stop, with 3 hours sleep breaks each evening (after the first one), to attempt to finish in under 132 hours.

If you want to follow along, I will have a SPOT GPS device with me, that should update our location every 10 minutes and show the location on a map (follow the "Where's Leslie" link) In addition, my crew will try to post twitter updates to the blog on a regular basis.

Here we go!
Leslie

13 comments:

Med said...

I'm a colleague of Jason from your support team. Being a keen cyclist myself, I have huge admiration for what you are about to do. Wish you all the luck and hope that you have a safe and (enjoyable?) journey.
best of luck

Med

Marsha and Robin said...

Tried to find you on the "spot" but nothing's coming up. Wish we were there with you! Enjoy the sites on that beautiful island! See you in Dec!

Chris O'Keefe said...

good luck. Will be following the race and am sure you will finish.

DEBBIE said...

you go girl! i'm with ya and watching the website.
debbie

Marsha & Robin said...

Lookin' good, Girl! Keep riding strong!!

Anonymous said...

I wish you the best with the dream that you wish to accomplish. Things at home are okay. It is in the 90s and wind may be a problem for the fire near loveland. The boulder fire is under control, but crews remain on alert. I know your immediate concern is the race, but thought you might want a update on the number one state of Colorado. Sandy

Anonymous said...

Lesle and crew
The cows can sneak up on you. Much darker color than those in Sweden. Is it still raining? Need rain in Co. Fire near Loveland is at 35% containmenet, but they may let owners back in depending on winds tonight and tomorrow. The one near Boulder is contained and people have returned to what was. Now a fire in Castle Rock. It is warm here-90 degrees. Rockies still in run for wildcard. Broncos need to start over. Keep on pumping and best wishes -the other end of Irland is closer.

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie,
I am a friend of Julie and Susan's and wanted to see how far along you are. It is very exciting that you are doing this, good luck!

Melanie

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie,
I am a friend of Julie and Susan's and wanted to see how far along you are. It is very exciting that you are doing this, good luck!

Melanie

Anonymous said...

Leslie and crew

Appears that you getting closer to Cork. Appears to be some rough hills ahead, but sure that you will take it in stride. Wish crew would twitter. Much respect for you
Sandy

Anonymous said...

Leslie and crew
As you said-the end is within reach. It is outstanding that you took the task on and have endurance to finish what you started. My thoughts are with you.
Sandy

linda guerrette said...

great job to both Leslie and crew to get this far to the end. Leslie point the bike the the barn and ride on in. Incredible endurance and fortitude.

Anonymous said...

Leslie,
You demonstrate courage, determination, high expectation, and a strong will. All are assets that one should be proud of and to know that there will be other events. You have mastered skills that other individuals do not demonstate. I have the upmost respect for you and your crew.
sandy